Monday, April 30, 2018

Compassion is my Passion


Everyone has their own moment of realization, which defines their purpose in life. Mine was in elementary school, when I went on a field trip to watch the movie, The Lorax. It was about saving the environment and the Lorax stood up for the trees. Thereafter, I began to ponder, “What do I stand up for?” Growing up, my family encouraged me to help the needy by donating to the 2nd Harvest Food Bank, One Warm Coat and other such causes. All this made me realize that my aim should be to speak for the unspoken and channel my time and energy to help society.


Since the age of 7, I have been participating in Bollywood dance, and as I grew older, I got an opportunity to teach dance routines to mentally and physically disabled children. This helps them integrate better with society, and improve their motor, memory, and social skills. When I first started working with handicapped kids, I was a little hesitant, and judgmental, as I never interacted with them before. After I started to get to know them better, I realized that they are human, just like everyone else. From then onward, I made a promise that no matter how different someone looked or acted, I would treat them with respect. I am also a Youth

Board member of Make-A-Wish, I’m raising awareness, and fundraising to fulfill wishes of critically ill children. Both of these community service activities have changed my outlook on life drastically. I am helping those who are unable to live a typical life, however, none of these kids have given up. Despite being handicapped, or ill, they find something that makes them happy and will get them through the day – whether that be dancing, singing, or looking forward to their wish getting fulfilled. I have realized that no one should take things for granted, even simple things like walking or talking. With this lesson in mind, I have started to be more optimistic with everything I do, because I now understand, that not everyone has the opportunity to live their life on their own. Such experiences have made me more compassionate, humble, and thankful for every opportunity I have in life. As author Yasmin Mogahed said, “Compassion is to look beyond your own pain, to see the pain of others,” and that is exactly what I have learned to do, because I know that our problems are very minor compared to the ones of disadvantaged kids.

I am a regular volunteer at the Helping Hands event hosted by the 2nd Harvest Food Bank and Applied Materials, where we pack boxes of food to distribute to the needy. Shockingly, I learned that 1 in 10 people are hungry in Santa Clara county, which is one of the richest places in the world! Consequently, I am extremely thankful for the food I receive, and strive to waste less food because I know that there are starving people in my own community. It also brings me hope to see that there are big corporations, like Applied Materials, who donate millions of dollars to help end hunger.

As a member of the Campbell Youth Commission, I learned that no matter how young
someone is, they can still make a difference. Our youth commission proposed a social host ordinance to reduce underaged drinking and drug abuse. We also raised over $450 for Campbell’s Youth Scholarship Program this year. I am a big proponent of youth leadership, and was even invited to the capital, Sacramento, to testify in favor of Assembly member Evan Low’s bill, ACA 10, to lower the voting age to 17. Today’s youth are tomorrow’s future. We bring fresh, new ideas to the table.

These service activities shape who I am today, and have taught me to be compassionate, thankful for what I have, to be kind to everyone and treat people with respect. Volunteering gives me contentment and satisfaction because seeing a smile on someone’s face is priceless, it makes me realize that the time and effort I put in has a much greater impact – happiness. Service has helped me find myself and answer the question, “What do I stand up for?”. Like the great man Mahatma Gandhi once said, “The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.”

No comments:

Post a Comment